Monday 25 February 2013

Lessons I Learn From Women #4: Cindy Kennedy "Anything Is Possible"














I'm hoping I do justice to the lovely Cindy Kennedy who I first met back in 1997 in Hamilton. Cindy was a sales rep at Radioworks Waikato and all slim and beautiful and stylish. We didn’t really have a lot to do with each other at first, and then she came to my rescue after my first real relationship ended and I was absolutely devastated.  I don’t whether I ever told Cindy but she taught me that ‘Anything Is Possible’ when I was at absolute rock bottom.  In short, Cindy kicked my ass, checked me out of 'Heartbreak Hotel' and helped me get on with it. I started to really enjoy life as a single woman in radio, in Hamilton for the first time in three years thanks to Cindy. 

We became good friends and when her relationship ended she moved into a very cool little flat on her own that was really tastefully decorated on a pretty tight budget. Lots of wine and vodka was drunk in that flat and many laughs were had and stories exchanged.  A few months later I moved to Auckland with work and we lost touch.

Fast forward to 2011 and through Facebook we regained contact and I caught up with Cindy in Wellington just before Christmas for dinner. She looked stunning and happy whilst being immaculately and stylishly groomed, whereas I had overdone it with a pink dress, heels and beat up leather jacket.

We had dinner and I listened in awe as my friend recounted her adventures of the last seven to eight years.

Cindy left NZ and moved to Sydney where she worked as a marketing rep for one of the radio stations. It wasn’t working out and so young Cindy took a punt and a job in real estate. At this stage she was counting pennies, living in a hostel-like situation and parking her beat up car around the corner so potential buyers wouldn’t see what she was driving when she was presenting Open Homes in posh suburbs. She moved up the chain fast and in her first year earned six figures, a few years later she brought her own home and last year she purchased a brand new, very sexy late model sports car.  However, despite her increasing wealth in life and success, she has the nous to stay humble and nonchalant about it all.

Cindy is now the most successful, independent self-made person I know.  This gal has had plenty of ups and downs in her life, and with Ms Cindy, it’s not how often you fall down, it’s how hard to kick your ass to get back up. Cindy works very, very hard, is an active philanthropist in many areas, is generous with her time, particular about who she spends time with and who she is friends with and most importantly, she takes time out for herself. She really looks after herself inside and out and actively attempts to be a better version of herself every day. Cindy has proven to me since I met her, that anything is possible, and even now as I struggle to find my way professionally, her words ring in my ears and I stand up and keep pushing forward. Cindy – you are an absolute inspiration, much aroha to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment