Friday 26 April 2013

Lessons I Learn From Women #7: Krystle Miller "Be Yourself".














Krystle Amanda Renee Miller. Sister. Younger.  First two names came from the old lady's two favourite characters off the TV Show, Dynasty.  We have the same Mother, different Dad; however, to me she’s a fully-fledged sister. Younger siblings will never feel the absolute joy of describing you as a nappy-wearing toddler, especially those who are at least 15-16 years apart as Krystle and I are.

As a toddler Krystle loved chocolate, answering back and dancing. She would dance to Ready To Roll, shaking that ass in her cloth nappy, which was almost always damp, or carrying a brown cable the size of a python. Even at 12 months she was just being herself and she never stopped doing that, for anyone.

She was always immaculately dressed in the latest trends and had her first blonde streak in her brown hair when she was four.  There were many times her ears were definitely painted on, especially when you were calling her to get off the swing and she ignored you.  People look at you sideways when you are attempting to put a screaming child into a car and the child pretends they don’t know you. I stopped taking her to the park.

When Krystle was about nine or ten I took her to the movies and ¾’s of the way in she said she wanted to leave.  I patiently coaxed and cooed, got her more lollies and another drink, but she point blank refused to stay for the ending so we left. I never took her to the movies again.

I’ve watched Krystle go through so many life-changing moments in almost three decades. From the premature passing of her Dad Smokey 15 years ago, to a horrific car accident where she sustained unbelievable injuries. I remember getting the call from the old lady, and as I headed into the ER I could hear all this yelling of “f***” this and c*** that and sure enough, there she is, Krystle Miller lying on a gurney, blood every where and telling the Doctors and nurses “eff off you mother effers”. I walked straight up, looked down at her calmly said,“Hey – these people are trying to help you you egg, knock it off”. She’s instantly calmed down, looked up at me and said in the sweetest Krystle voice, “Tarsh…….is Mike with you?”.  Swear to god I didn’t know whether to laugh or cut her catheter.  (She was referring to my good friend Mike Puru, who, sadly for Krystle was not with me that evening.)

She’s tough. Everyone who knows Krystle will attest to that. She’s a fighter. She’s sentimental and fiercely loyal. If someone attacks her or anyone in her life that she holds close, she will fight for him or her.  She’s incredibly sentimental and holds her family close – particularly the old lady.  Krystle also wears her heart on her sleave, openly and unashamedly and I really admire that.

What I love about her the most is she is so much fun. New Years Eve 2012 and the Boyfriend and I spent a great night out with Krystle and soon-to-be Mr Krystle and it was a great night, speed bumps and all.

I have watched Krystle grow into an absolute babe whose infectious spunky attitude means anyone who is related or friends with her is in for a helluva good time.  My heart warms when I look at what this chocolate loving toddler has grown into.  A successful loving woman that is just as comfortable on the couch as she is in heels as a club. She is her own woman and I know her Father will be so proud of his girl.

Krystle Amanda Renee Miller, showing the world being yourself is the only way to go since 1986. 

No comments:

Post a Comment